Sea moss is one of the most nutritious foods on earth. I mean it. Sea moss or Irish Sea Moss has long been the prime ingredient of a famous Jamaican health food beverage, called Sea Moss Punch, and is a current go-to nutritious drink for health-enthusiasts in the know.It is known to strengthen men's back aka boost their libido as well as boost women's libido too.
Of course, sea moss is not actually moss, my friend. It’s really a type of seaweed found on rocks near the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.
Among the many nutrients in this super food compound you’ll find
- Iodine (necessary for sodium-potassium balance)
- bromine (thyroid function)
- sulphur compounds (sulfur promotes collagen, hair, and nails)
- protein (building blocks of amino acids, as well as skin, nails)
- beta-carotene (for eye health and all cellular function)
- calcium (bones and teeth)
- iron (red blood cells, oxygen transport)
- magnesium (good sleep, mood, over 300+ enzymatic functions)
- manganese (connective tissues, hormones)
- phosphorus (bone health and MANY other health benefits from your heart beat on up)
- potassium (an important mineral we need 4700 mgs of a day.
- Selenium (crucial for the liver’s detox pathways)
- zinc (skin, hair, immunity)
- B-vitamins and C—necessary for all bodily processes
How to Use Irish Sea Moss
With its rich store of natural vitamin C and sulfur, which is called the “beauty mineral” because of the wonders it works on skin, hair, and nails, you can count on sea moss to help clear and beautify the skin major. Sea moss can easily be made into a gel (recipe below) which can then be used in drinks, recipes, and medicines.
Sea moss can keep in the refrigerator – 2 to 3 weeks if kept cold, in fact, the gel is becoming a nutritious way to fortify all kinds of healthy foods and beverages, from green drinks, to smoothies, to green tea. You could even stir it into coffee to make caffeinated drinks a little less “un-nutritious.”
Other Benefits of Irish Sea Moss
Among being a powerful nutritive compound that’s transformative for the skin, sea moss offers several health benefits. It can be used all sorts of ways for health such as,
- Topically, sea moss can help heal wounds, and is a favorite treatment applied topically to get rid of conditions like dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis as well as to treat burns.
- It can be used in hot teas, to help drastically lessen the symptoms of cold and flu and shorten recovery time
- Irish sea moss also boasts antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral and anticoagulant activities and because it doesn’t gel in hot liquids, can be used in virtually anything cooked.
- To treat the pain and symptoms of ulcers
- To ease nausea and indigestion
- To rehydrate the body after excessive alcohol use
- Healing effect upon mucous membranes
Irish Sea Moss Recipes
- 1 cup dried Irish sea moss
- 2-3 cups purified, filtered water
- Rinse the dried seaweed in filtered water
- Soak in purified, filtered water for 20 minutes
- Place the moss in a quart canning jar with enough water to fill the jar and then seal it with its tight lid.
- Soak overnight or at least 8 hours (the longer you soak it, the more blend-able it becomes for drinks and foods)
- Strain with colander of some kind
- Now put it into a blender with 1 cup or more of filtered water and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into a glass jar and seal it with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for use on skin, and in drinks and cooking.
Irish Sea Moss Punch
Makes 2 to 4 servings
- 1 and 1/4th cups Evaporated Milk, 1 1/4 cup
- 1 and ½ cup condensed Milk
- 1 cup Irish sea moss
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (organic only!)
- Aromatic Bitters (dash)
- Salt - pinch
- Nutmeg - pinch
- Ice - 3 cups (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until fully blended
- Only add ice if serving immediately. Or add ice when serving (you don’t want to water it down too much!
Vegan Jamaican Irish Moss Punch(1 serving)
- 1 cup chilled sea moss
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp. african nutmeg
- blue agave syrup (to your taste)
You blend this recipe in a blender-- all ingredients, until smooth.
Serve over ice cubes.
Where You can Get Good, High Quality Sea Moss
Purple Moss Paradise, follow them for updates when they restock: https://www.instagram.com/purplemossparadise/
Black Sea Moss: http://gochefahki.com/product/black-moss/
Sea Moss + Other Sea Veggies:
Founder + CEO of Goddess Detox: Vanessa White @OlanikeeOsi
Vanessa is the CEO & Founder of Goddess Detox, author and self-love influencer.She likes to call herself a self-love manifestor, teaching women around the world manifest self-love in their everyday lives. She wants women to selfishly and authentically love themselves. If you are interested in joining her women's empowerment movement called #SelfishBabe Click HERE to sign up for her SELFISH list to get access to the Private Facebook Community and her free resource library filled with affirmation ebooks, sound audio's and video's on how to love you better.